Wednesday, August 15, 2018

DOMINIQUE LUMMUS RETIRES FROM AREA COORDINATOR ROLE AFTER 10 YEARS


Yes, I have retired from the role of Area Coordinator after a ten year tenure.

During this time I implemented many changes and modernizations that saw our group set a standard that NHW Queensland, NHW Australasia and the Queensland Police Service held for others to aspire to.

The innovations such as an e-mail database, a website, use of the media/press and social media to highlight local crime issues and disseminate information were ground-breaking 10 years ago and led to numerous awards.

…and I shared these new ‘fandangled’ ways and ideas far and wide J I visited many local groups to teach them how to set up email databases, engage the media, created websites and social media presences for other NHW groups and helped many get off the ground too. I also devised and presented several workshops on this topic at NHW Qld’s request.
 
My personal journey with Neighbourhood Watch also saw me represent all Queensland NHW Area Coordinators at State level for two years, after which I was asked to join the committee of Neighbourhood Watch Australasia. In this role I helped formulate guidelines for other groups to follow around IT and the modernization of Neighbourhood Watch both in Australia and New Zealand.

I have dedicated many hours to this group in organizing its activities and calendar, applying for funds, organizing campaigns such as our First Aid courses, to helping a local resident establish evening Moon Walks around the lake. 


I have engaged the local and national media, visited several other groups to raise awareness,  written thousands of words in articles for local publications, built and maintained its website, created graphics for our advertisers’ ads, attended dozens of Coomera Consultative Committee evenings at Coomera Police Station, arranged speakers for meetings and notably brought together council / state candidates and incumbents to attend public pre-election evenings.

I therefore feel that I have well and truly achieved way more than I ever set out to do – not only in helping reduce crime in Oxenford and improve your personal safety here in our gorgeous Oxenford neighbourhood but in helping Neighbourhood Watch communities Australia wide and in New Zealand too.

So, I leave with a warm and fuzzy feeling in my heart as well as the award of which I am most proud -  an Australia Day Award for service to my community.   
My thanks to our fantastic ­­­PLO Sr Sgt Andrew Lake, to the wonderful committee members and to the tireless zone and blockies. It’s been such a pleasure to work with you all and some lifelong friendships have formed.

Live long and prosper!



Share this post