There are things you can do every day to help make your home safer but when you are planning your holidays and know that your home is not going to be occupied for a time, it is a worry. A home that looks unattended is generally an easier target for a burglar.
The key to deterring burglars while you are away is to make your home look like someone's at home. Before heading off on holiday, here are some easy tips to prepare your home:
- Leave a radio on and tune it to a talkback station
- Use a timer on lamps to make it look like someone is inside
- Cancel deliveries, such as newspapers, or have a trusted person collect it for you
- You should also have a trusted neighbour or relative empty your letterbox and take your bin out and in, even if it is empty
- Hang some old clothes on the line and leave ( a large pair of) old shoes outside the front door
- If you are going away for an extended period of time, consider getting a house-sitter and arrange for someone to mow your lawn
- Try not to leave invitations or notes about holidays in plain view such as stuck on the fridge, next to the phone or on a whiteboard
- Do not post about your absences / holiday on social media
- If you are out for the evening, leave a light on and close the curtains.
Here are some tips to manage your phone and messages before you go on holidays:
- Divert your home phone to your mobile and lower the volume on your phone
- On your answering machine say 'We can't come to the phone right now' rather than 'I'm on holidays and will be back on...'
- If you live alone, say 'We can't come to the phone right now' rather than 'I can't come to the phone right now'.
Share this post