Sunday, August 22, 2010

NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH 'DONATION' TELEPHONE SCAM

I received an email today from a Gold Coast  (Queensland) resident  - as follows:

I had a phone call earlier from a blocked number asking me to donate $2200.00, $695.00 or $495.00 to help advertise Neighbourhood Watch. When I asked him if he could email email me details I got "why do you want that mate?"

I hung up just after that. He seemed to be working through Yellow Pages Gold Coast looking for soft touches.
I assume he is not official with Neighbourhood Watch?
Please be aware that Neighbourhood Watch never has and never will solicit donations by telephone - so please do not fall for this - it is a SCAM. 

Each Neighbourhood Watch Group 'survives' thanks to a conbination of fundraising strategies which include traditional raffle ticket sales at meetings, donations received in return for advertising in the group's newsletters and the occasional donation from local councillors etc.

Share this post